Historically, SEO was a predominantly technical task. Today and into the future, Profound Strategy recognizes that successful SEO efforts depend on a holistic strategy that combines and prioritizes technical efforts, content considerations, meaningful reporting, site health, brand strength, and competitive insights. A successful SEO investment increases non-branded organic traffic to a site at historical or improved conversion rates.
Profound Strategy has led the industry for years with this proven, modern approach to SEO, and it has shaped not only our strategies but our entire company. The Technical SEO Specialist plays a crucial role in setting the foundation for each client’s success and supporting the Profound Strategy team in driving continued SEO and business growth on each campaign.
The Technical SEO Specialist position is both one of a technical analyst and an SEO practitioner. This role is the lynchpin of both technical SEO fulfillment, reporting, and strategically informative analysis and recommendations.
This position is responsible for:
- Technical SEO ninjutsu
- Translate technical SEO issues, needs, and value into pleasant, comprehensible, yet accurate language.
- Complete technical SEO audits to decipher what is hindering a site, dispel technical SEO myths, and bring clarity to clients.
- Optimize all technical aspects of client websites for maximum SEO impact.
- Drawing pictures for the rest of us
- Bend Google Analytics and other tools (see tools list below) to your will.
- Utilize Profound Strategy’s custom reporting structure to create new and helpful dashboards for clients.
- Be the Account Strategist’s secret weapon during presentations by answering technical questions from clients.
- Help the rest of our internal teams make sense of data as needed. Numbers are hard.
- Train the padawans
- Help our team keep pace with technical trends and developments within SEO and internet marketing industries (and subsequent strategy updates).
- Champion technical SEO best practices.
This position delivers:
- Simple explanations and specific action plans based on analysis and insight of complex SEO issues or needs
- Reporting and analysis that equip account managers and client teams to make strategic decisions
- Technical answers to client questions, as needed, to support account managers
- Technical optimization of client websites for maximum SEO performance
- The latest expertise on SEO, search engine, and internet marketing industry trends and developments, reporting and recommending changes as needed
- Actionable technical SEO best practices for the Profound Strategy team, based on your advice and synthesized feedback from internal teams
- SEO metric monitoring—including (but not limited to) rankings, traffic, conversions, competitors, and link profiles
- Monitoring and reporting on the implementation of modern technical SEO techniques, to maximize organic traffic growth for clients
- Promotion and fostering of analytical skills for all team members
- Analytics setup and reporting, including:
- Validating data integrity in Google Analytics and other platforms
- Fulfillment of client Monthly Dashboards & Quarterly Reports
- Fulfillment of one-off analysis and reporting to inform Strategy and Editorial teams
- Complete Technical SEO Audits
- Setup and configuration of WordPress plugins
Tools we use every day:
- Google Analytics
- Google Search Console
- Google Data Studio
- Screaming Frog
Tools we use on occasion:
- Adobe Analytics
- Google Tag Manager
- 3 years of technical SEO experience (in-house or agency)
- Extensive experience (and proficiency) with Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics
- Proven ability to investigate issues with Webmaster Tools, analyze changes in organic (and other) traffic to deliver business insights and recommendations
- Experience with GA4 is a plus, but not required
- Advanced capability with Excel and Google Sheets
- Must be able to develop robust spreadsheet-based tools
- Demonstrated ability to create easy-to-understand and easy-to-replicate reports
- Experience creating and maintaining project schedules using project management systems
- Experience working with back-end SEO elements such as .htaccess, robots.txt, metadata, and site speed optimization to optimize website performance.
- Experience quantifying marketing impact and SEO performance
- Strong understanding of technical SEO (sitemaps, crawl budget, canonicalization, Schema.org, etc.)
- Proven ability to navigate client CMS, troubleshoot issues, and fulfill technical SEO resolutions within WordPress, Webflow, etc
- Basic understanding of HTML, JS, CSS
- Experience working with web developer teams
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to dig extensively into metrics and analytics
- Effective (efficient and clear) cross-functional communicator
- Flexibility and creativity—Clients often have requests we do not have a formal process or template for. The ability to quickly shift to tackle a new brand new problem is invaluable
This is a full-time, salaried, W-2 position. Salary range begins at $67,500 depending on experience. Profound Strategy also offers PTO, health, dental, vision and other benefits. While the role is primarily remote, periodic in-office days are required after COVID. Hours are generally 8AM to 5PM.