Mobile internet usage has increased exponentially over the past couple of years, and what was once cutting-edge is now entry-level digital marketing. Businesses and brands simply aren’t competitive anymore without a great mobile website, and Google is upping the ante yet again with mobile-first indexing.
To make our results more useful, we’ve begun experiments to make our index mobile-first. Although our search index will continue to be a single index of websites and apps, our algorithms will eventually primarily use the mobile version of a site’s content to rank pages from that site, to understand structured data, and to show snippets from those pages in our results. (Google, November 2016)
The implications of this shift are huge. Google is proceeding cautiously, and it is our goal to keep pace.
To respond to the rapid pace of mobile growth, and the Google updates it is inspiring, Profound Strategy has developed an exclusive Mobile-First Indexing Audit.
How Will Mobile-First Indexing Impact My SEO Traffic?
Any time Google updates a part of their algorithm, rankings can be affected. A change in ranking, of course, would have a dramatic impact on SEO traffic.
Google has said that this update won’t affect rankings. On mobile searches, that’s probably true. Mobile-friendliness has long been a ranking factor for mobile searches, and sites that are not compatible on mobile devices have already been pushed out of page one.
It’s difficult to see how rankings won’t be affected on desktop searches, though. Mobile represents the majority of organic traffic, and the disparity is growing, but desktop search still represents important traffic. Brands will a poor mobile experience may still be ranking well in desktop searches, but that is about to change.
- Separate mobile site—If your company has a completely separate mobile site, (as opposed to responsive design or dynamic serving), it’s about to become more important than the desktop version. You’ll need to conduct a thorough audit of your existing mobile site and your mobile marketing strategy moving forward.
- No mobile site—Similarly, if the company has no mobile site, Google will crawl your normal site, but will still hold it to standards of mobile compatibility—which it will not pass. It’s time to think about a mobile-friendly website.
Profound Strategy’s Mobile-First Indexing Audit
If you are unsure how your site really performs on mobile, and/or where to start making improvements, a mobile-first indexing audit might be the exercise your team needs.
- Clarity—Get a clear and complete picture of your site’s mobile performance, including what is working well and what needs improvement.
- Confidence—A detailed audit will leave you with the metrics you need to demonstrate the mobile-first strengths of your site, and/or a prioritized To Do list that will get your site ready.
Our mobile-first indexing audit is a unique service that we’ve built from scratch. It is a hands-on review of four main categories of mobile-first considerations:
- Mobile compatibility—An analyst will manually review how well your site performs on mobile devices against a specific list of common issues.
- Mobile display—Whether your site uses responsive design or is served dynamically, an analyst will use a series of tools and manual review processes to make sure the site’s mobile display provides a good user experience and communicates efficiently with search engines.
- Website speed—Our audit process uses a variety of tools to measure and report how efficiently your site responds. You will get a list of scores regarding load time, HTTP requests, PageSpeed Insights, and more.
- Deep app indexing—If your company has a mobile app, our audit process with test and measure how well the mobile site integrates and maximizes the app and how well the app boosts search rankings.
Our audit will also provide basic metrics—such as average ranking, CTR, etc.—on both desktop and mobile, as well as highlight any unique issues that our analysts uncover during the auditing process.
How Do I Get Started?
If you’re ready to get your site set up for mobile-first indexing, or if you have further questions, contact us or fill out the short form in the right column. One of our SEO strategists will be in touch within one business day.